Friday, January 2, 2015

Understanding that Zionism is not Judaism

Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 8.35.31 PM

One of the questions I ask myself very often is how the conflict in Israel/Palestine can be going on if G-d specifically told the Jews not to kill and to love our neighbors, and I think a lot of people wonder about that, too.
I’m an honors student, and I recently gave a seminar with a good friend of mine, Tamim Haq, regarding this conflict and the difference between Judaism and Zionism. He’s a Muslim, and we’re both pro-Palestine, so it was a new and interesting view for everyone.
But how can a Jew be pro-Palestine, you ask?
The answer is a hell of a lot more simple than it seems — I’m a Jew, not a Zionist. (And a True Torah Jew at that.)
Basically, this means that I follow the teachings of the Torah, within which YHWH (the Hebrew word for G-d) tells us to not kill and to love our neighbors. It’s incredibly simple.
Zionism is discrimination, and whether you view it as racism or not depends on how you view race and if you feel that Jews are their own race.
I personally believe it’s just bigotry, but I won’t tell you how to think or feel. That’s not what I’m here for. I’m here to give it to you straight and cold-blooded.

No comments: